30 Minute Meditation – Muscular Relaxation

Jessie Norris Taylor

Jessie Norris Taylor

Jessie Norris Taylor is Co-Founder and Co-Director of The Mindfulness Center (TMC). She is 200-Hour ERYT certified with Yoga Alliance and for over a decade has studied a number of yoga traditions including Hatha, Iyengar, Vinyasa, and therapeutic yoga. Her studies in mind-body practices include training with YogaHOPE, the Washington Center for Consciousness Studies, the Gestalt Psychotherapy Center of Washington, DC., Reiki Level II Certification and apprenticeship with Dr. Deborah Norris in the clinical and therapeutic applications of mind-body practices. Jessie is one of the head teachers in TMC’s 200 Hour Yoga Teacher Training program and has developed and conducted wellness programs for numerous area corporations, hospitals, schools, and government agencies. Jessie recognizes the ability of yoga and meditation to balance and enhance all aspects of our lives and to cultivate optimal wellness of mind, body and spirit.

'30 Minute Meditation – Muscular Relaxation' has 65 comments

1. January 26, 2016 @ 6:07 pm elizabethlazor

I found this muscular relaxation meditation to be delightful! I felt gently cared for and wonderfully relaxed and energized at the conclusion of it. The image that I loved the best was imagining to hear something that is a little too far away. I will return to this one many times at the end of the day to relax and reset. I have already found myself using elements of this meditation throughout my day. Thank-you!

• June 22, 2017 @ 10:07 am lbsipe

I really enjoyed this muscular relaxation, it helped me remember why my students really enjoy this after they are upset or angry about a situation. I loved the analogy of savoring a bite of your favorite food compared to our breath. Doing this meditation focusing on each part of the body made me feel completely in tune with my physical and emotional state. The teacher’s voice and flow of the practice was just what I needed to start my day!

• July 23, 2017 @ 11:17 pm lbsipe

This was a great meditation to do before going to sleep. I enjoyed the progressive relaxation exercise. At the end I could feel my heart beating, and my shoulders and back relaxed and loose. Jessie had a very calming voice, thank you for a great practice!

2. February 7, 2016 @ 2:52 pm CarrieV

I just completed this meditation and found it very lovely. I really enjoyed tensing up various parts of the body and tuning in to what that felt like. The release of that tension really helped me move into a deeper awareness of the body in general. I also particularly liked the full breaths we took where we inhaled like a yawn and exhaled with an audible sigh. This type of breathing felt especially cleansing and invigorating. Thank you!!

3. February 12, 2016 @ 7:14 pm lcverdi

Hi Jessie! This was the first meditation of yours I have listened to. I loved it, thank you! I coaxed my little brother into listening with me. He had not previously been a meditator. Now he’s hooked. Thank you for being the voice that has bonded us together more deeply.

4. February 13, 2016 @ 11:06 am DrEAm

Thank you for the invitation into this meditation into muscular relaxation. This intro gave my mind-body connection time to get acquainted in a gentle way. I was able to hold the tension in my muscles and then release into relaxation. Very nice way to achieve muscular relaxation. Thank you.
    Namaste.

5. February 20, 2016 @ 6:23 pm csafos

Thank you for this wonderful meditation. It was so enlightening the way you introduced tension, then went to the breath, and then to release. What a great way to see how tightness impacts the flow of breathing. I particularly enjoyed this implementation in the face and brain areas. I was very relaxed after this meditation and enjoyed it very much. Thank you.

6. March 27, 2016 @ 4:25 pm commander2016

This exercise was undertaken while battling a small bout of walking pneumonia, with recovery underway for two days. I sat upright throughout, with palms supine on my thighs, back straight, in a chair. Jessie’s reassurance of staying in a comfortable, open, supported position put me at proper ease in the early going. My physical self is in a better place now, having brought simple focus to the various regions throughout the past half hour in tension/relaxation process. I found this exercise very fulfilling in bringing and anchoring me in the present moment. Muscle flexing and relaxing with deep breathing was very effective in honing awareness. Breathwork (deeper and repeated) seemed to get easier and richer as time went on.

7. June 28, 2016 @ 4:56 pm David Chandler

I enjoyed this process immensely. I have used similar techniques for many years and find that the release of muscular tension after holding it is excellent for calming the mind and opening awareness. I went to a very deep place inside. I have been traveling a great deal by air and this is a fabulous way to be present in the body and focussed in the mind.

8. November 4, 2016 @ 2:15 pm vstickler10

This was very relaxing. I am home ill and this is what I need. I enjoyed the gentle tone of her voice and just found the whole session ideal. In fact I was so relaxed I almost fell asleep. This will be a session I will listen too again. It was quick and refreshing.

9. November 7, 2016 @ 8:00 am vstickler10

I did this one early in the morning. It was a nice was to wake up slowly. The soothing voice allowed me to sink into relaxation before starting the day. Had extra time so I wanted to not be rushed and this was a nice session to do that with. I will get through this stressful day.

10. November 28, 2016 @ 6:32 pm amypearl

I feel calm and ready for the day. I completed this meditation as soon as I woke. My body feels like I have had a stretching session and my mind present. I have many things to complete this morning but I do not feel frantic. One thing at a time. Emotionally I feel safe and less critical of myself. During this practice I thought about my Golden Retriever, Megan. I had her as a kid. Megan brought much happiness and security to my life as a child. I mostly listened to the calmness of Jesse’s voice and the tone of approval her voice had. I connected to her description of letting the floor support our body and to let our body sink into the floor.

11. December 8, 2016 @ 12:34 pm Tanya

When I started this meditation, there was resistance because I didn’t want to tense up my body. But with the first tightening of the feet and trying to deep breathe, I found myself smiling. Like, yes, I get it now! There was a deep happiness throughout the meditation. Not sure exactly why, but I’m not complaining. ‘Expressions impact energy’ I love that, and will be more aware of my expressions. The yawning breath in and the ‘ah’ breath out felt wonderful. Something I can even do while driving. Probably the biggest surprise for me was creating tension in the mind, and how that impacted the breath. Wow! I had no idea. Toward the end of the meditation, there was an impulse to open my eyes and check the time, but I was able to recognize it as an impulse that I could either choose to act on or not. I chose to keep my eyes closed and really enjoy each moment. It’s so nice to realize there are choices. The pace was perfect, and I appreciate how gently the meditation wrapped up and ended. Will be doing this one again.

12. December 21, 2016 @ 11:48 am Tanya

I was so looking forward to doing this meditation again, and I enjoyed it so much the second time. Breathing through my entire being was lovely, as was letting sounds and thoughts wash over me. I felt the world swirling around me, but with a quietness at my center. I loved this. It made me want to be this quietness with my teens, with the difficult emotions, let them wash over me, pass by like clouds, because everything is always changing. I loved relaxing the mind like you’d relax the bicep. It’s a muscle just the same. It still trips me out that the breathing is negatively impacted by the straining mind. But it makes sense at the same time. I love this meditation and will be coming back to it again. Thank you.

13. January 3, 2017 @ 7:35 pm amypearl

I completed this meditation last night. I love the sensation of tensing my body and then releasing the stress as I relax my muscles. As I started the meditation my body was very tiered from the days events. It took effort to let go of everything that was running through my mind. When my mind began to drift I would come back to my breath. I started to feel sleepy during the session and felt like I was in and out of sleep and being alert. I must say that I fell asleep before the session was over. Over all this was a great session.

14. January 4, 2017 @ 12:31 pm Tanya

Back again! The tensing and relaxing always makes me smile, reminds me to be conscious of my body through the day, if I’m tensing or not, knowing how it impacts breathing, which impacts the relaxation response. Relaxing the mind struck me again. Knowing that we have the power to relax it if we’re aware. During this meditation today, I had some profound moments of being aware of being alive, of being a breathing human being and the miracle of it all. So nice. Thank you.

15. January 13, 2017 @ 5:19 pm Tanya

Today I loved the first question, ‘what is my physical body asking for?’ because in the past I ignored my body’s messages, and now I want to listen to them. In particular today when I tensed my abdomen and my shoulders, I realized these are where I usually hold my stress. No wonder I can’t breathe right when I’m stressed out. I used the idea from the Letting Go and Receiving Meditation to give my mind permission to let go after tensing up the various parts of the body. My body responded quickly to the permission. 🙂 The ahhh exhale is wonderful. It resonates with me much like a singing bowl, or the om. I taught my teenage daughter to exhale this way. She loves it, too. Thank you.

16. January 15, 2017 @ 6:15 pm Gunilla

Muscle relaxation is also a workout. In this meditation we have to put our mind and efforts into relaxation of muscles. Tension in mainly our upper back and shoulders creates a huge tension and then the body cannot relax into stage of meditation. I enjoyed the exercise incorporating the core and then easy relax the body. Good exercise.

17. January 20, 2017 @ 2:17 pm Moira

I had a particularly stressful day yesterday so doing this meditation today was perfect!! I am feeling very calm and relaxed – it was very good to mindfully and carefully release all of the stress and tensions in my body and mind. My heart feels expanded, open, calm and wonderful. My stomach was tight at the beginning of this practice but feels calm and at ease now. Grateful to notice the relaxed feeling in my face and my shoulders in particular – I’d been holding onto some stress there.

I loved the progressive relaxation and as noted it’s exactly what I needed right now, I particularly enjoyed the tense the mind and ears up part – the letting go of that tension was wonderful for me. The whole experience was great.

Thanks Jessie!

18. January 22, 2017 @ 3:00 pm Tanya

I always enjoy this meditation because it helps me to be mindful of whether I’m holding tension in my body during the day. This reminded me to pay attention to my body, to hear what it’s asking for. I seem to need these reminders often, because I tend to forget. The part about breathing through the entire body, through every organ and cell made me realize what a precious, life-giving but ordinary thing breathing is. Something we hardly consider unless we turn our attention toward it. Being able to relax my mind the same as if relaxing a muscle has increased my quality of sleep. When I wake up at night, I give my mind permission to just let everything go, and I find I slip back into sleep more quickly and easily. Thank you.

19. February 4, 2017 @ 3:05 pm Moira

I really enjoy and value this meditation… I am feeling calm and refreshed, my body is feeling at ease and in balance. The momentum in my mind is thoughtful and present – slow and expanded in some ways. My heart feels open and I have the murmur of a smile on my face as I reflect upon the ease I am feeling in my body Thanks very much!

20. February 10, 2017 @ 3:20 pm moonjoy

I enjoyed the images in this meditation and the prompts from Jessie were quite helpful. I found myself to be noticeably more focused throughout the next few hours. Although I have done body scans before, I was quite uncomfortable with the specific aspect of tightening some of my muscles, especially my facial muscles. This will be interesting to try again.

21. February 11, 2017 @ 2:21 am Marselis15

I felt a great sense of peace and rejuvenation. I feel rested and a new. I was able to notice my shoulders being tensed during the practice and then I was able to relax. My mind was still. After the meditation I had an awareness of how often I hold tension in my shoulders. The momentum in my mind was steady . My heart felt open. My stomach was relaxed and I felt my breath there. My emotions were steady, content, easy. I found that my mind was not busy in thought. A significant memory: feeling blessed to have so much peace. I was able to relax my entire body including my mind,Wow! Significant phrase :’ the mind is a muscle and we can relax it as well. Let the sounds wash over your body!

22. February 14, 2017 @ 11:21 pm Marselis15

My mind was not busy. My belly relaxed due to deep breathing. My mind’s momentum was calm and steady. I feel in the moment no distractions. My mind and body merged as one. I also had a floating sensation in my body or on higher ground . Significant memory’ being aware of the rise and fall of my chest, deeper and slow breath helped me to relax. Phrases that I remember’ invite you to close eyes, because we come into alot of information as visual beings. Closing the eyes , we can let go of some of the information that we tend to process. Be aware of the physical body, what it ask of us; what does it mean. Finally, our breath is always there.

23. February 16, 2017 @ 6:40 pm Moira

I love the calmness this meditation leaves me with. The idea of savoring the breath is nurturing to me and allows me to let go of tension on all levels. I also appreciate the contrast felt when breathing while holding tension as opposed when released… helps me relax even deeper. I also find that the focused direction of this practice calms my thinking down noticeably. Thank you.

24. February 21, 2017 @ 8:41 pm margya

This was so relaxing. I didn’t think I had any specific areas of tightness/tension but so enjoyed this practice. Loved the incoming gentle tide analogy from toes on up then going back to the toes and creating tension in the toes, thighs, releasing then breathing was great way to bring attention where holding tension and so relaxing , such a great way to bring awareness. Particularly liked the facial expression part, pursing lips then letting go and the feeling of total relaxation. Had not thought before about facial expressions not only reflecting one’s energy but that we have the ability to change our energy by changing our expression. Just smile!

25. February 22, 2017 @ 12:07 am Amy Balentine

I am quite relaxed after this meditation. I appreciated the comment about asking what our body needs. The alternating between relaxing and tensing muscles was valuable for relaxing.

26. February 25, 2017 @ 7:22 am Tammy Neighbors

During this meditation I became so very aware of my body. I had a muscle spasm in my thigh as the meditation lead me to relax my mind. I found it curious that as I relaxed my mind the spasm went away. As I took breaths, feeling the waves rising and falling I found it to be a very good visual of laying on the beach and waves covering me as I inhaled and going back out as I exhaled. I enjoyed the deepness of the relaxation I experienced in my mind.

27. February 25, 2017 @ 8:40 am margya

Yawning cleansing breaths in the middle were wonderful. Attention/tense/breathe/notice/relax/breath/notice is so easy yet powerful to bring real attention to different areas especially the mind. Loved the analogy when bringing tension to the mind “as though trying to hear sounds far away”. Refreshed and Relaxed. Thank you.

28. March 1, 2017 @ 12:14 am Marselis15

30 min Meditation. 2/24/17 My body feels lighter as well as my heart. I was aware of the shift of becoming more relaxed. My was stomach relaxed. A significant phrase was the following:
    ‘ release any effort right now, let yourself fall backup upon itself. ‘ My minds momentum definitely felt the flow of energy shift from being in my mind/ thoughts to allowing myself to let those thoughts go and become aware of the present moment . Perhaps tapping into some sensations that were in my subconscious mind. Janice Jones

29. March 1, 2017 @ 11:05 am moonjoy

Following this meditation, I felt centered and focused. I felt pride in making it through 30 min of meditation although I didn’t want to today! I had a racing mind through parts of the meditation, but when I engaged in the physical practice of tightening muscles, it allowed my mind to calm. I most enjoyed the full drop-jaw inhale and strong exhale, which felt cleansing and powerful. Generally, I felt very connected to my breath throughout.

30. March 11, 2017 @ 12:47 am madoyle

MMTT J; January 30, 2017
    My mind caught Jesse’s image of the object in gravity falling back to Earth and that led me to a spacious deeply calm place. My body is transitioning out of the session and the cycle of ‘inhale, yawn, stretch jaw wide, and release the Ahhhh sigh’ left me yawning as I transition. My body is relaxed and the long quiet pauses in Jesse’s guidance relaxed me deeply. With my awareness on breathing through the mind itself, the relaxation I am feeling is leaving me feeling sleepy.

31. March 15, 2017 @ 11:27 am pjois

i like the tensing and relaxation. It brings an awareness to how invigorating it feels to release tension and left me feeling free. The deep breaths relaxed me completely and took me to my space of quietness. Peaceful!

32. March 16, 2017 @ 5:48 am Tammy Neighbors

This is my second time listening to the meditation. This time I felt my brain actually relax it was a new experience for me. The only way I can try to describe it would be to use a lava lamp as an example. My brain felt as though it was floating just as the liquid in the lava lamp floats. I felt myself at that place where you are at the moment of sleep, yet I was awake. Very relaxing. Now after the mediation I feel like I do first thing in the morning when I wake up. I reached a new place in my meditation practice today.

33. March 22, 2017 @ 11:38 pm Aliciaj80

After the meditation I felt light and at ease. My brain is calmer and I feel happier. I really liked relaxing body parts at the beginning because it gave my mind something to focus on until I started to really drop in. I felt I was able to keep my mind quieter than usual. I didn’t remember a lot of specifics at the end. The words register at the moment but didn’t really stick to memory.

34. March 28, 2017 @ 9:53 pm sindyyogini1010

I loved this meditation. The cues about clenching and relaxing were effective. Listening to this was the first time I laid down to meditate. I definitely felt like I went to a deeper state of relaxation.

35. March 29, 2017 @ 6:19 pm Luvabull81

Right now after completing the practice but muscles feel stimulated. I am personally relaxed.
    It is like a release. My muscles feel lighter and more flexible. Prior to the practice I felt stiffness in
    my neck, shoulders and thighs, now they feel more mobile. The momentum in my head is that I am
    energized. My heart feels normal, nothing notable. My stomach is the same. I feel optimistic and
    excited about this new journey.
    I found that my mind was:
    Generally active throughout my practice
    Sometimes busy and sometimes clear/quiet
    Quiet because I mostly or occasionally fell asleep

Significant memories of my experiences during the practice are that I remember the feeling of tensing a muscle per the suggestion and that upon the release how much deeper the release felt as opposed to just attempting to relax my muscle.

Phrases that I remember that had a significant impact on my practice Two phrases that were impactful was “scrunch your toes” Let the breath float over the thighs. Slight confusion in my mind processing “take a deep breath here” immediately followed by easy rise and fall of your chest

Other comments. This method is one of my favorite ways of getting participants to move into a deeper level of stillness in a Yoga class going into Savasana by contracting and releasing their muscles.

36. March 29, 2017 @ 8:37 pm pjois

i like the tensing and relaxing. my right shoulder was sore, and i visualised the breath flowing into this area, releasing the tension as i exhaled. after a few times, my shoulder felt fine! As i went through different parts of the body, i felt completely relaxed. i enjoyed the meditation.

37. March 30, 2017 @ 9:30 am Aliciaj80

I did this meditation right after I woke up and it was great. I have a sense of calm and peace and feel like I’m floating a little bit. I don’t feel tired but ready to start the day with a clear state of mind. I still have a little bit of mind chatter when meditating but just try to wash the thoughts away when they come. I really liked her voice as well.

38. March 30, 2017 @ 12:28 pm shannonstutz

M9 — I really enjoyed thinking of my mind as an actual body part. I tend to think brain is in the body, but mind is where? Somewhere else? I liked the exercise of contracting with awareness to really feel the tension, so that it was really obvious when the tension had been released. I enjoyed trying to breath with ease while tense. It was an uncomfortable exercise, but one that I felt can really demonstrate the difference for my students.

39. April 1, 2017 @ 8:40 am pjois

After standing for over five hours, i came back home looking forward to rest my feet. This was such a wonderful relaxation. The slightly sore feet got a bit of a massage through this procedure. About half way through my body felt very relaxed and calm. Had a good night’s sleep!

40. April 2, 2017 @ 8:18 am Stephlewis

I enjoyed this meditation. I liked how Jessie described it as a practice of awareness and invited us to “sink back inward’. The tensing and release of the muscles really highlights that. I found release in the scrunching up of the face. I never realized how much tension I hold in my forehead, eyes, and jaws until I focus on that area. After scrunching up my face my body feels lighter. My mind was largely quiet though there was one part where it wandered quite afar. The large quiet space during the meditation gave nice time to sit in silence other than the sounds around us (which, for me, includes birds chirping). I particularly welcomed how Jessie summed up by bringing the meditation back to awareness in different ways and inviting us to carry it with us throughout the day.

41. April 2, 2017 @ 3:33 pm Toni Needel

First time listening to this meditation. LOVED it. WOW. I feel ooy, gooey, juicy… You name it, just plain good. We do lions breath in yoga so I am familiar with tensing & releasing, but to move throughout my entire body, that was a first for me. I loved as well how she talked about the brain as a muscle. The whole thing was great.

42. April 4, 2017 @ 11:16 am early.katherine@gmail.com

I liked the idea of closing eyes to block more information / stimuli. I loved the idea of the mind as a muscle to tense/strain and relax. I noticed that as I was working on relaxing the bottom half of my body, the upper half was aching for attention. I’m grateful that my body is giving me the information it needs to heal.

43. April 7, 2017 @ 8:35 am Stephlewis

I enjoyed this meditation this morning as much as I did the first time I listened to it. My mind was pretty quiet and focused. I really like the analogy of an object falling back to earth linked awareness landing on my breath. That was effective for me. I also appreciated the reminder that our expressions can affect our energy. And the invitation to let the mind by like the sky on a sunny day was great reinforcement to Aurora’s meditation I just listened to on experiencing spaciousness where she encourages the mind to be open like the sky. Too great images to carry into the day.

44. April 7, 2017 @ 3:21 pm sindyyogini1010

Third time listening to this meditation and it’s still one of my favorites. Simple, inviting stillness with awareness. I liked how she spoke of body sinking down into earth while earth rises up to meet body. That imagery made me feel very grounded and present.

45. April 9, 2017 @ 2:51 pm sindyyogini1010

Today I felt so relaxed listening to this meditation that I dozed off for a few minutes. I really enjoy the muscular contraction followed by total release. It’s a wonderful, creative way to come into sensation in the body and presence in the mind.

46. April 11, 2017 @ 12:33 am Amy Balentine

I loved the muscle relaxation in the first half. I have heard clients say that they prefer body scans than start a the feet and go up. like in this meditation. I am curious why people feel starting at the feet is easier. The suggestion to yawn actually made me very alert and brought me out of my meditative state.

47. April 12, 2017 @ 9:33 am Amy Balentine

I listened to this again today. I found that tensing and relaxing my shoulder muscles greatly helped reduce tension in that area. I felt like I would have benefited from spending longer amounts of time at each body parts, alternating between the tensing and relaxing.

48. April 15, 2017 @ 11:19 am Toni Needel

This was the second time listening to this meditation for me. Once again a very relaxing experience. I was already quite calm as I had had a meditation session this morning. When she instructed us to yawn I was surprised to feel that I suddenly felt tired! I feel into a really blissful state of relaxation, but I managed to stay awake. I liked how she ended with “re-awakening, sort of reminding me “ok now don’t fall asleep!. Otherwise I might have stayed there all day. Thanks. Very nice.

49. April 18, 2017 @ 12:46 am Noreen

After this meditation, I feel a relaxed heaviness in my body. My mind feels calm and focused. My jaw is relaxed, which is a place I generally hold tension. This was the first time in a progressive muscle relaxation that I have been guided to focus the brain – I thought that interesting and effective. At the end, I liked the guidance to open the eyes very slightly letting the first hint of light through the lashes. Opening my eyes always seems the harshest part of ending a meditation and this made it much gentler. Thank you.

50. April 20, 2017 @ 7:45 am Stephlewis

My mind was a little busy when the meditation started but I heard Jessie ask us to fall in to the awareness of our breath and that brought me back. And I didn’t really notice until then that I was holding tension in my body. Really made me aware of it and to relax my body. This meditation has a really inviting flow. The observation that it is difficult to take a deep breath if you’re holding tension in the belly area is a simple but really profound one. That is one think I never think to check – more cognizant if I’m holding tension in my jaw or my shoulders.

51. April 22, 2017 @ 12:16 am Aliciaj80

I did this meditation last night before bed after a long day. The idea of relaxing my muscles and body before drifting to sleep sounded lovely and it was. I love tensing and releasing because it makes me aware of what relaxation actually is. Sometimes I don’t notice I am holding onto anything until I bring attention to it. Thanks!

52. April 23, 2017 @ 11:13 am LauriRandall@yahoo.com

I am feeling very relaxed. My body feels loose and easy. My chest feels open. I feel hopeful.
    I remember feeling a sense of peace knowing that the breath that brought me to this state of peace is always with me know matter where I am or what I’m dealing with.
    I felt that the tensing and relaxing of the brain was a powerful tool as we often forget that it too is a muscle that often holds tension.
    I also enjoyed the stretch at the end and the suggestion to allow my eyes to open slowly allowing just a bit of light to filter through the eyelashes so that the awakening to visual stimulation was not jarring.
    I liked the idea of the breath spilling up my legs and over my thighs. This visual allowed my muscles to really relax.
    The visual of the mind being like the sky on a clear blue sky day with the thoughts being clouds that blow away on the gentle breeze of the breath was very calming for me..
    Thank you Jessie.

53. April 23, 2017 @ 4:15 pm shannonstutz

M24 – My practice felt a bit irritated and long today. I’ve had a hard time with my practice lately, but I did finally connect to my breath and find ease. I felt kind of impatient, maybe ready for it to end. Maybe I was slightly fearful of what may come up – maybe, but it doesn’t feel like that sort of a hesitation. It almost just felt like my mind was uncooperative, yet I could sort of feel myself creating that sensation as well, so perhaps I was avoiding going too deep. It makes sense and I am allowing this meditation to be exactly as it was without judgment.

54. April 25, 2017 @ 10:40 am moonjoy

My mind was quite active during this practice. Although I feel a physical calm and a mental clarity, I also feel a slight frustration and disappointment because I continue to struggle with quieting my mind. My mind is not racing in an avoiding or distracting way, but rather when I sit to meditate, my thoughts turn to dreams/hopes/future plans. This is a positive feeling in many ways, but I also want to feel the stillness of breath and quiet thoughts. Today this was difficult to locate. I found it hard to flex/tighten during the muscle relaxation, especially my upper body – it felt uncomfortable to breathe with this tension. I did find more space in my body following the progressive muscle relaxation. I liked the phrases about an object returning to earth via gravity near the beginning of the practice, and the scrunching of my toes.

55. May 24, 2017 @ 12:03 pm moonjoy

Following this practice, I feel positive and hopeful, expansive, relaxed, sleepy. This was the most effective/best meditation that I’ve experienced in a while. My physical body feels stretched and open. My mind was clearer and quieter than normal. I appreciated the open feeling of my body once I released the contracted muscles. I felt a deep sense of relaxation about 5 min or so into the practice which reminded me of acupuncture. I was able to focus on my breath more than I usually do. Thank you!

56. June 3, 2017 @ 1:08 pm Brad Reed

I found this meditation very relaxing and easy to get into. Aurora’s voice was very calming and soothing in the pacing of the meditation itself was excellent. I found myself really sinking into my body and feeling the sensations which allows me to feel the presence. Normally, my regular practice does not involve guided meditations but I have to say these meditations relax me and focus me in a different kind of way that I’m used to and I find this beneficial. I appreciate the analogies used to illustrate that our sensations and our thoughts can be visualized or experienced in a way which emphasizes their transient nature. Focusing in on yourself is a powerful tool for grounding in this meditation really helped me do that. It was also short which is nice when we have time constraints.

57. June 13, 2017 @ 4:38 pm AngieMack

This practice I was very distracted at first. It took about ten minutes for me to really listen and focus on the voice of the speaker. My mind wandered a lot this session. Once I got into the pattern of breathing, I was able to relax a little more, however, I still struggled throughout the practice. I will re-visit this session again in the future. After the session I did wonder why I had such a hard time with this practice more so than the others. I believe I struggled because I had not done any practice on my own for a week and then I remembered from reading “Witnessing the Flow” and other sessions, that you practice what you get. It made me realize that consistent practice it very important. Even though I did not practice for a week, reflecting back on my week, I realized that there were several opportunities I passed up that I could have practiced my meditation. I am hoping when I re-do this session, I will find better results. I found that my mind was generally active throughout my practice. There were not real significant memories since I had such a hard time today. No phrases stood out since I was often focusing on random thoughts and not the practice. I really am bummed I had a hard time, but again, it made me realize how important consistent practice it.

58. June 24, 2017 @ 12:44 pm LauriRandall@yahoo.com

I feel reconnected with my true self after a busy couple of distracted weeks. I feel calm and aware of what truly matters.

After a couple of busy weeks where my schedule was off and meditation was not regular – I recall feeling as though I was greeting myself as if I were greeting a friend or beloved one. I felt reconnected to my true self and a deep sense of awareness of the pointlessness of all the things that were coming up over the past couple of weeks with teenagers home from college for the summer etc.

I, once again, really enjoyed the relaxation of the brain muscle itself. I also enjoyed and found interesting noticing how tension in different parts of my body affected my ability too breathe deeply.

59. June 30, 2017 @ 4:51 pm Kathleen

I’ve been really enjoying listening to guided meditations that encourage ease and only small and slight movements, so I thought it was interesting to try something new with a meditation that asked me to consciously bring some tension into my body. After beginning the progressive tensing and releasing of the body, however, I realized that my body wasn’t finding enjoyment with that today preferred that I lie still. Instead, I experimented with “energetic” movement, as is often referenced in yoga practices. Rather than physically tightening my legs or my abdomen or my chest, I brought my awareness to each and imagined the sensation of tightening.

60. July 12, 2017 @ 8:31 pm knighl

The phrase that caught my attention most was “savor every breathe”. I listened to this Meditation after a particularly long day at work. Using the breathe as the anchor to bring yourself into the present moment is such a sweet relief. Jessie’s soothing voice is the icing on the cake.

61. July 23, 2017 @ 12:27 pm jserfin

3 of 30: This was a nice full body relaxation. I found myself imagining a blue sky with fluffy clouds passing over me with each breath.
    1. I feel relaxed and warm after this meditation. My muscles are all relaxed, but I can sense that I am ready for my day. (I did this meditation first thing in the morning).
    2. I found my mind: generally active throughout, minimal wandering thoughts.
    3. No significant memories were welled up, but I did visualize the clear blue sky and clouds, which was likely drawn from memories.
    4. Phrases: “let the sound of my voice wash over you” “savor every breath”
    Thank you, I enjoyed this one, especially for an early morning treat.

62. July 26, 2017 @ 7:24 pm C

3 of 30
    Enjoyed the intentions of relaxing expression & energy.
    Thank you!

63. August 12, 2017 @ 6:51 pm clepley

This was a very relaxing meditation; I like the direction at the beginning to “close your eyes and let go of information that is surrounding you; I was able to sink inward as the guidance continued, feeling like I was falling as I relaxed, and “falling to earth: I don’t usually like guided mediation of parts of the body, but the sinking to earth direction and comment re “:drawing the breath into the mind were very useful today; holding tension in the mind made me realize how much tension can be there in “the mind”; I liked taking the breath through my mind to clear it out; I also liked the comment “the breeze of your breath” and seeing it take clouds away. This was the end of my day, as I prepare to fix supper, and I feel ready to do that!